Did your Pages app crash when you were working on an important document, and now you can’t find the file anywhere? Or did you mistakenly delete the wrong document on your Mac? We know how lost you might be feeling right now. But the good news is that there are ways to restore the missing or deleted Pages document.
In this article, we’ll cover the best methods that can help you successfully recover deleted Pages documents on your Mac.
Common Reasons Why Pages Documents May Disappear
Nobody likes when a Pages document disappears from their Mac. But still, such an unfortunate event can happen to anyone. Here are the main reasons why this issue may occur:
- Human factor: Sometimes, when you’re pressed for time or are simply not careful enough, you can mistakenly delete the wrong Pages document. But luckily, in such a case, it’s pretty easy to retrieve the deleted Pages document on a Mac.
- Software issues: It’s easy to lose a file that you were working on because of the Pages app unexpectedly crashing (especially if you haven’t saved the file before it happened). Usually, updating Pages to the latest version may help, but sometimes the problem is more complicated and may require professional help.
- Physical damage: If your Mac has some damage (even very minor), it can lead to data loss and, therefore, may cause your Pages files to disappear.
How to Find a Lost Pages Document on a Mac
The easiest way to find Pages documents on a Mac is with the help of Finder. Here’s what you should do:
If you don’t remember saving the Pages file that you’re looking for, check the Temporary folder on your Mac, it’s possible that the document is there. Here’s how to find this folder:
How to Recover a Deleted Pages Document
Once you’ve ensured that the Pages document that you’re looking for is actually missing, you can implement one of these data recovery methods to restore the deleted, lost, or unsaved Pages document on a Mac. Let’s dive in!
Method #1. AutoSave
Luckily, Pages on Mac have an AutoSave feature that automatically saves the changes you make to your document. It is especially helpful in case Pages unexpectedly crashes while you’re working on a document.
Also, for this feature to function, you need to check one more setting. Head to System Preferences > General and ensure that the box near Ask to keep changes when closing documents is unchecked.
Here’s how to recover an unsaved Pages documents with the AutoSave feature:
Method #2. Trash
If you’ve mistakenly deleted a Pages document, it’s possible that you’ll find it in Trash on your Mac. But keep in mind that this option will be effective only if you don’t have the Trash auto empty feature enabled.
Here’s how to recover a Pages document on your Mac via Trash:
The recovered Pages file will be placed back into the folder where it was located before you deleted it.
Method #3. Data Recovery Software
Another option that you can try for restoring a deleted or unsaved Pages document is to use a data recovery program such as Disk Drill. This app is easy to navigate, can be used for restoring various files and documents (Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, Keynote presentations, etc ), and the best part about it is that you don’t need to be a proficient Mac user to handle this tool.
Follow these steps to restore a deleted or unsaved Pages document with Disk Drill:
That’s it! Go to the chosen folder, and the recovered file should already be there.
Method #4. iCloud Backup
Using iCloud to recover a deleted Pages document is also a quick and simple method. However, if you haven’t been using iCloud to backup your Mac files, this option won’t work for you.
Here’s how to restore Pages on a Mac from an iCloud backup:
The recovered Pages document will be returned to the folder where it used to be before deletion.
- From the menu at the top of your screen, click File > Save.
- In the Save as field, type in a name for your document.
- Add tags if needed.
- Click the button near Where to select a preferred location.
- Click Save to confirm.