We capture more photos today than ever thanks to the power of having some of the best cameras at our disposal. From pictures of our family and friends to the wonderful trips that we take throughout life. Photos tell our story and allow us to relieve some of the best moments in our lives which makes them super important.
Losing data such as our photos is never something that we think is going to happen to us. It can happen though and knowing how to recover deleted pictures from our computer’s hard drive gives us one less thing to worry about.
When it comes to photo data recovery, you don’t have to pay a ton of money to have a computer technician find lost photos for you as there are many methods for data recovery. Using Disk Drill is one of these as it is a proven and reliable method that works.
How to recover photos or images with recovery software on Mac and Windows
In this example, we’re going to take a look at how to recover photos from a hard drive.
- Download the app from here.
- Launch it.
- After the app has been installed, select which hard drive you want to scan from the list on your computer. I choose to do my main hard drive but you could also plugin and choose to recover photos from an external hard drive. The scan will take some time as it is doing a full scan of your hard drive. Mine took about 30 minutes to complete.
- Once the scan has completed, you can (1) select what you want to recover. I decided to recover all four pictures that had been deleted. (2) Then, you need to decide where on your Mac you want the pictures to be recovered to. You don’t want to recover the pictures from your hard drive and put them onto the same drive if it isn’t working correctly.
- After you have selected what you want to recover, you can click the blue “Recover” button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. That’s it!
Now let’s take a look at how to recover a deleted photo from your hard drive on Windows. I am trying to recover an aviation photo that I used in the past as I am a flight instructor and would like to have access to the photo even though I deleted it.
- Download the app from here.
- Launch it.
- Select the internal or external hard drive that you want to scan. For me, this was my Parallel’s partition. After selecting it, click on “Search for lost data” and the scan will begin. This will take some time to complete as it is checking your entire hard drive for data.
- Once the scan has completed you will see a list of all of your found files. (1) I selected the aviation photo that I wanted to recover. (2) Once I selected it I was then able to see a picture of it using Disk Drill’s “Preview” function on the right-hand side. (3) Lastly, I clicked “Recover” as I didn’t need any other pictures except this one. If you want to recover more than this, you can by checking more of the boxes.
- Once you click “Recover” you will have to pick a place for the photo to go on your Windows partition and that’s it! Super easy!
Benefits of photo recovery with Disk Drill
Disk Drill offers an enormous amount of features for the price. One of my favorite things about it is just how easy it is to use. When you think of data recovery, you don’t think of a beautiful and easy-to-use interface but that is what Disk Drill offers. Here are some of my personal favorite features.
- Deep scan – this scans your computer bit-by-bit and looks for lost files on your computer. Think of it as a deep spring cleaning. It will search your Mac or Windows computer for every possible lost file that it can find and present them to you.
- Preview option – this allows you to look at the files that have been recovered before you even recover them so if you only need one file, you can easily tell what it is and select it. No more trying to understand long randomly generated file names.
- Image format support – Disk Drill covers such a wide range of image formats which means that any image you’re trying to recover it most likely be able to find. You can read more about the support images types by clicking here.
How to increase the chances of successful data recovery
What are some good practices that you should put into place when it comes to recovering deleted pictures from your computer hard drive? Good question! These would be things that involve making sure we take the best care of our computer as we can.
- Keep your hard drive free of files that you don’t need. This will make it easier for data recovery software to find your data as it will have less to go through which will put less strain on the damaged drive.
- Don’t defragment the hard drive as this could cause further data loss.
- Install data recovery software onto a healthy working hard drive and not the damaged one.
- Don’t physically try to do anything with your hard drive unless you’re a skilled computer technician.
- When you recover lost files, save them to a different drive as the one that they were lost on most likely isn’t reliable anymore! This can be a thumb drive or external hard drive.
Other possible methods to recover photos from hard drive
There are several ways to recover photos from a hard drive.
- Use iCloud which is a service offered by Apple if you’re on a Mac. iCloud can back up things such as: pictures, text messages, contacts, bookmarks, reminders, and notes. If you lose them on a failing hard drive they may still be accessible in the cloud.
- If it’s an external hard drive that is failing, you can plug it into your computer and access it from Disk Drill and see if the data can be recovered. If so, that data could then be transferred onto a known working hard drive.
- As a last resort, you can contact CleverFiles Data Recovery Service as they can recover your data from almost any storage device. This means that even if the hard drive is not recognizable or cannot start, they can still most likely recover your data for you. Keep in mind that while most of the time repairs such as this are successful, sometimes a hard drive can be damaged beyond repair.
Knowing how to protect your data and recover it in case of a mishap is something that we all should all be aware of. With such a large portion of the population using computers these days, it is a good idea to be aware of what your options are when it comes to data recovery.